Can you use a UK issued 0% credit card abroad?
Over recent months, we have seen many UK credit card customers looking for an answer about using a 0% credit card abroad. Interest in this topic had increased as the summer holiday period approached and, in part, also due to issues around Brexit.
Many UK card customers are looking for an answer on using a 0% credit card outside of the United Kingdom.
This is because they either already have a credit card with a 0% introductory offer and are making a trip abroad. Or they are looking for a new 0% credit card and want to know if they can make use of their 0% offer on purchases, made whilst outside of the UK.
0% Credit Card Abroad
UK customers can use a 0% credit card abroad to make purchases, whilst on holiday or on business. As in the UK, where the purchase is made within the customer’s 0% introductory offer period, the customer will benefit from the 0% offer on those 0% purchase credit cards.
However, it should be noted that many 0% credit cards do charge a “foreign transaction fee” on purchases made abroad. The fee is taken as a percentage amount of the purchase, usually 2.75%, although it can be higher. This fee is charged on each transaction made outside of the UK.
Consider the following example:-
- You pay a £1,000 hotel bill abroad with your credit card
- You will be charged a “foreign transaction fee” of around £27.50 for this transaction.
This fee will apply, even if your are still within your 0% on purchases introductory period.
0% Credit Card Abroad – Cards With No Fees
There are a very small number of UK 0% credit cards available that do not currently charge any foreign transaction fees on purchases made abroad.
These no foreign transaction fee cards are highly recommended, for use abroad. This is especially true if you are likely to make a large number of purchases abroad in a year. Some of these cards also have the added benefit of a 0% offer on purchases, for a limited period.
The following featured 0% credit cards currently charge no foreign transaction fee. These UK credit cards are most suited for use as a 0% credit card abroad:-
0% Credit Card Offers
Credit Card Details
- 0% on balance transfers for 12 months from account opening
- 0% balance transfer fee within first 3 months, 2.4% fee applies after, minimum £5
- 0% on purchases for 12 months from account opening
- Unlimited commission free purchases abroad
- Manage account online
- Annual Fee: £0
- Nationwide credit cards are just for members. You are a member when you have a current account, mortgage or savings account with Nationwide
- Nationwide Select Credit Card is only available to members who hold their main current account with Nationwide
- You have been living in the UK for the last 12 months
- You have a gross income each year of more than £5000
- You have a good credit history
- You are aged 18 or over
The Nationwide Select credit card above, does require a customer to have a Nationwide current account. If you do not already have a Nationwide current account, you can apply for one during the credit card application.
As can be seen above, UK customers can use a 0% credit card abroad for purchases. This applies to both Visa and Mastercard issued UK credit cards.
It should be noted, however, that no UK credit card company will accept a balance transfer from any credit card issued outside of the UK.